Followers

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Fifth Element

Good evening!  Tonights first review is an older movie, The Fifth Element.  While it is not my first rodeo with this flick, it is one of my favorites, hence another go.

I am giving The Fifth Element a 4 star rating.  This movie does border on 5 stars, but since is just a border I am going with 4.  For me to give a 5 star review is very few and far between and must be well deserving.



What is there to say about The Fifth Element?  I assume most of you have seen this movie, if you have not where are you living?  Pure enjoyability is what brings this movie up to a 4 star rating.  Click the buy from amazon to the right and watch it!

Acting in this movie is very good.  My only negative comment on the acting is it is very classic Bruce Willis.  You see this character of his in a lot of his movies.  I felt it was similar to the Die Hard series and a few other classic "bad ass" Bruce movies.  Milla Jovovich was excellently casted as was Gary Oldman.  Chris Tucker was incredible in my opinion, this was a very different role for him to play, and his character was tough to figure out.  His character is very good at talking the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk his steps are a bit small.  Bruce's character would not have been able to be as big of a hero as he was if it were not for Chris's well acted supporting role.


**spoilers below**

Story is very solid as well.  Set in the future with multiple forms of life living together sets the stage.  Bruce is an ex military now cabbie with not much going for him, and a nagging mother to boot (who we never get the "pleasure" of meeting on screen).  Leeloo falls into his lap so to speak when she jumps off a building to escape police and crashes through the roof of his cab.  The incredible battle between good and evil unfolds on multiple different levels throughout, even pitting Bruce on both sides at times.

One of my favorite parts of the whole movie is when we get to hear the Diva sing.  If someone could really sing like her they would be the most famous person on earth.  I look forward to this part of the movie every time I put it in.  This scene was excellently shot, as her singing is choreographed with the happenings of the movie.  Bruce's big battle scene is next up, and even though it was a great scene I was glad there was only one in this movie.  Limiting it to only one battle tough guy scene made the movie flow much better and keep the story line in check.  Any more scenes would have just made the movie less believable and would have taken it too far towards an action flick.

All the hype leads up to the incredible ending.  The gang gets the stones to the temple, only to find out they don't know how to activate them!  Leeloo is too out of it, and too frustrated with the common tendencies of the human race to care any longer.  The gang accidentally finds the solution as a deep sigh of frustration is released, causing the wind stone to open.  With only seconds left to spare the stones are activated and Leeloo's saving light explodes into the atmosphere and stops the fireball from exploding earth.  I know, I know that sounds extremely cheesey if you have not seen the movie before, but believe me this is one flick that is worth your time.

At the top of the page please click to follow my blog.  Since I know you enjoyed the review, below you can share it on a network of your choice.  Please please please start some discussion or leave some comments.  I hope you enjoyed, and see you for the next review!

-Jason

1 comment:

  1. Personally, while this is a good movie, it IS a bit cheesy. You said it yourself, look at some of the descriptions. I feel that the end could have been done a bit better. First, I don't really understand how Leeloo is so out of it that she can't do a damn thing. I mean, is she dying, extremely tired, what? Obviously she isn't dying b/c she stays alive just fine afterwards in order to have some interspecies sex. Next, the "tell me you love me part" was a little cheesy too. The priest urging Bruce on, "tell her," while Leeloo miraculously has enough strength to coax him into saying he loves her. And we'll just skip discussing about the very end meeting with the President b/c that was just stupid.

    Chris Tucker did do amazing with his character, I just wish Bruce would have followed suit and gave us a little bit more so that we knew this wasn't Die Hard: The Final Frontier.

    While I bash some, I do like this movie also but am going to argue your four stars is more of a three. Compared to your last post about Schindler's List, this movie is not on the same par. Very, very good. Very enjoyable to watch, but so is Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion to me and I would certainly not rate that a four. :)

    ReplyDelete