Followers

Friday, December 17, 2010

Avatar

Well hello again, we find ourselves together for another review yet once more.  Tonight we watched one of 2009's biggest films, Avatar.  I have held off as long as I could with this movie mainly due to all the hype that surrounded it.  I came into it very skeptical, because lets face it, a lot of times movies that get as much hype as this one turn out to not live up to it.  I wanted so badly to find a reason to not rate this movie 5 stars, that I had to sit and think after it was over.  What did I conclude?  Well, I rightfully could not rate one of the best movies of all time any less than 5 stars.  This may be a long one folks, buckle down and lets dive in.  I am going to rate on everything I can tonight, with some melting pot technique.  I will try not to get into too much storyline, as I will have plenty to talk about with out it.



Acting and casting is a completely solid 5 star rating.  Casting less known people was the single greatest thing they could have done.  In my opinion putting a well known in this film would have fucked it up beyond all repair, no matter how well filmed and scripted it could have possibly been.  How do I even start on casting?  Leads Sam Worthington and Steven Lang were absolutely incredible.  The biggest name in the film in my opinion was Sigourney Weaver, who was impeccable.  This had to be one of my favorite films of hers of all time.  Sam was supported by Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi and Joel Moore.  I 100% could not believe the acting that was given by these three.  Giovanni and Joel were so far off of their normal cast roles, and they did such an amazing job here I was completely floored.  Combine this with the other half of the main role of Sam with a face we never got to see in human form of Zoe Saldana and you have the absolute perfectly cast film.  Wow that one was a mouth full!  Every single main and major supporting cast member blew me away.  I have not seen such a perfectly cast and acted movie ever that I am able to recall tonight.

Filming and scripting, I honestly don't even know where to start.  I do believe this may be the single best filmed movie of all time.  Believe me, that is very hard for me to say because of the reservations I came into this movie with, and the sheer minimal amount of 5 star ratings I give out.  I would not say it if it were not true, and for the remainder of the better part of a year of movie reviews I would bet you will never hear another comment to the same extreme degree of this.  Without writing a book here tonight, lets just say that director and writer James Cameron should be set for life off of this movie.  I would be hard pressed to say he even has a shot to top this film with anything but a sequel.  I would in fact be hard pressed to say that anyone will be able to top this film anytime soon.  You do need to see this film to truly appreciate everything that went into it, and to understand where I am coming from without me having to make this pages long.  Lets just say that this movie honestly does make you want to live in a place such as Pandora.  The way that everything on the entire moon is connected, life is shared by all and everyone lives forever in spirit and memories tied to everything else that is alive.  Plants, animals, Na'vi and Pandora itself are all interconnected.  The concepts that James was able to create, and bring to life in this film are some of the most unique and surreal I have ever dreamed.

Directing does take a lot from the last section, but lets just say everything was incredible.  James' dream came to life, and was spectacular.  The filming was flawless, the ideas and concepts were unsurpassed.  His choice of cast, and the directions he gave them were impeccable.  I wish I were able to explain more to you in a short form, but to truly understand and appreciate this review, let alone the film itself, you need to watch it.

Enjoyability as you can guess has been covered in most of the other things I have said thus far as well.  As I said in the beginning, I came into this with reservations due to all the hype that was surrounding it.  I tried and tried, but I could not bring myself to rate this any less than a 5 star.  It will probably be one of only a handful that you will see from me during my entire year long blog.  I can not wait to watch Avatar again.

Lets attempt to wrap this up by emphasizing yet again that the hype is real.  I tried to avoid it, but was unsuccessful.  I was unable to find a single thing in the entire film that was not 5 star worthy.  In fact the only thing I did not like, was the complete and utter truth in the fact that if we were to go to another planet this is precisely what we as a human race would do.  Humans are not designed to ever be able to become anything remotely resembling these beings.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but it will not happen.  We do not posses the sympathy, empathy, patients or any of the 1000's of other qualities that would be needed to accomplish what they have.  Humans, as are most other species on our planet, are just an extremely simple violent plague.

Wow, we got negative there at the end, didn't we?  Enough of inserting my personal opinions into this review.  See Avatar, and see it now.  In fact, I may push play again right now, Netflix may not receive this back for awhile.  As always leave comments, follow my blog above and share to your favorite social networking site below.  Ciao for now, and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment