Followers

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Natural Born Killers is so screwed up I had to watch it twice before I could figure out how to do a review.  Even after doing so it is still tough to figure out what I thought of this film, or how to rate it.  Killers stars Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Robert Downey Jr. and Tommy Lee Jones.  The eclecticness of the entire cast matches the eclecticness of the film perfectly.

Like I said this is a tough one to critique.  Let's start with the opening.  I think alot of people may see the beginning of the film and wonder what is going on, while others may even stop and not finish.  I would encourage you to keep on.  The start of the film is meant to be the way it is and is not a total image of what the rest of the film is like.  What am I talking about?  Well, the start is poorly filmed (on purpose mind you) with bad camera angles, bad lighting and a very intentionally poorly shot green screen of them driving in the car.  As I said, this is intentional and not a reflection of the entire film.  In fact, it completely fits and adds to the overall package.

Acting goes along with what I said about the opening.  There are parts throughout the entire movie where you wonder what is going on, but each respective person pulled their characters off extremely well; so well in fact I am surprised a number of the people in this film are not bigger names today.  Most of the cast had to do some (or alot in some cases) overacting.  This comes off a bit weird in parts, but it fits with the whole and the overacting is done quite well.  It is weird to say that, but once you see the movie you will know what I mean.  The overacting was not overacted...figure that one out and you'll get the picture.


Although I liked almost every character in the film, I would say Tommy Lee Jones's character had to be my favorite.  I can not think of anyone else that could have pulled this off as well as Jones, and that is a cool thing for him as it is not one of his usual roles.

Remember in the beginning when I said there were bad camera angles and lighting?  Well, the film keeps that theme going but instead of bad and bad they become amazing and unique but weird camera angles and incredibly dark and screwed up lighting effects that in turn make the film as good as it was.

Killers is one of Quentin Tarantino's early films, and it really shows while watching.  One feature in Killers that I especially liked is the use of different camera lenses.  The film takes place over multiple different facets, one being the media.  During the media shots that are supposed to be from a media camera, the film really looks as if it were.  This concept is repeated various ways throughout and it gives the film a whole new dimension.


About the only thing I didn't fully like about the film, it didn't bother me much either however, was the over use of switching filming styles.  You have color, then black and white.  Then you have a fake background and a real background.  You get back lit colors casting over the set and then you get super white colors drowning the set.  The constant switching back and fourth was a little more than was needed in my opinion.

There is so much more to say about Killers, but that would become a 10 page review.  I will just say that if you have not seen it you need to.  Be warned however, Killers is a very violent movie with lots of gore and blood.  I don't know how to fully classify it as it is not like the Saw series, it's not like the Dexter TV show and it's not really like the Kill Bill films either.  DW is not a fan of Saw or Dexter, but she was ok watching Killers.

Oh yeah, what do I rate it?  I will give Killers a 4 star rating.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment