Followers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Women (2008)

2008's The Women boasts an entirely female cast led by Meg Ryan.  Ryan is joined by a slew of big names such as Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Annette Benning, Jada Pinkett Smith, Candice Bergen, Cloris Leachman and Bette Midler.  The Women is a remake of the 1939 film by the same title.

This, along with films where bad thing after bad thing happen to the lead character are about the only two types of films I do not like.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good chick flick.  THIS is not one of them however.  The movie itself was not bad entirely.  The concept of the film was decent, and the script had some very good pro points to it.  The Women also had some good underlying messages embedded, such as don't pay attention to the airbrushed and photoshoped women on the cover of magazines because that is not how real women look.

The Women was limited to that for its good points.  There really wasn't an outstanding acted role.  They all had some bad parts, or they were acted just ok.  I take that back, there was one well acted role and that was of Meg's character's daughter played by India Ennenga.  What really irked me about The Women was the rest of the stuff that goes into the film.  The music was absolutely horrid.  There were scenes in the film I would have either totally thrown out, or majorly edited down.  This movie did not need to be two hours long.  Some of the facial expressions and reactions to things that happened were completely unrealistic in the fact that it would not happen like that in real life.

Stereotypically speaking I think the film did an ok job of portraying the rich NYC culture.  Personally I have never known anyone even remotely close to that rich and probably never will.  I don't know what they truly are like so I can't say for sure.

The Women is squeaking by with a 2 star review.  I think I may feel a bit bad for it resulting in 2 stars instead of 1, but it did have a few good points.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment