Followers

Friday, August 19, 2011

Paper Man (2009)

More and more I think the big directors of today have forgotten the basics of movie making.  They attempt to use too much luster to attract the viewers.  They use special effects and fake characters such as robots or aliens.  They digitally enhance everything so that it looks pretty and to be more visually stimulating.  I am more and more appreciative of the small independent film directors that have given us some of the best movies I have reviewed on this site.  Paper Man is a welcomed addition to the later list.

Paper Man has you wondering WTF the entire time.  This is a concept for a movie that I have not seen portrayed this well and in this way...ever I guess I would have to say.  Paper Man stars Jeff Daniels, Emma Stone, Lisa Kudrow, Ryan Reynolds and Kieran Culkin.

One of the most amazing features of this movie is than even despite its utter simplicity it still harnesses the power to blow your mind.  Things happen multiple times that render you speechless.  At the same time the film has so much humor and life situations throw in that again despite its simplicity keeps you engaged and entertained the throughout.


The character interactions between Daniels and Reynolds is illuminating in this time of dark major film company filming.  It becomes ironic as the film develops and sets up the humor basis for the entire film.  The imagery created by some of the most simple props in the film such as Daniels bicycle create some of the most profound and unspoken thoughts and images of any movie I have seen for quite a long time.

Acting was phenomenal for the entire cast.  At first I did not like Culkin's acting, but the further I thought about and dissected his character I realized he played it amazingly well.  Reynolds seems to have some of his familiar quirks in the film but despite he actually played Daniel's imaginary friend quite well.  I was the most impressed with Emma Stone as she has grown quite well as a young actress and looks as if she could have a promising future if she keeps the caliber up and doesn't slut out.  Well I guess she would probably still be popular but not for her acting in that case.  Let's hope for the prior; she has talent and I would hate to see her waste it.

I am glad that Jeff Daniels has had some powerful lead rolls in the past few years as it seemed he kind of fell off the radar for awhile.  I have had at least two amazing reviews of films he has starred in on my blog already, and I hope that trend continues.


Music is one of my favorite features of independent films and Paper Man was no exception to this.  Filming was very simplistic as most of it takes place in one tiny cabin.  It was done very well in the fact that you don't get tired of the cabin even though it is the basis for most of the film.  The opening credits were absolutely astounding.  I was in love with the film after the credits rolled and could tell this was going to be good (even though that is impossible..I know).

Well, as you can probably guess Paper Man is receiving a 5 star review from me.  In keeping the indie trend going I hope to have another up here again soon!  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment