Followers

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Crazy Heart (2009)

Featured in the 82nd Academy Awards, 2009's Crazy Heart was the next film in our queue.  Jeff Bridges stars along with Maggie Gyllenhaal, Robert Duvall and Colin Farrell.  Bridges plays a washed up country singer with more problems than you can count, and a poor attitude to go with them.

An obvious category that requires critiquing in a film such as this is the music.  Doing so is a bit tricky since you are not talking about background music or soundtracks.  Crazy Heart is about and centering around the music.  I was impressed that Bridges and Farrell both sang their own parts.  Not only did they sing but they did quite good jobs.

The music itself was impressive.  If you took the time to listen to the words you would find out there was more to it than a catchy jingle and guitar riff.  I have to give the country music genera props because it has to be the best story telling music.  Crazy Heart did a great job of capturing that soul and bringing it into the production.

The story is based off of a book.  I kept wondering if the film were based in any part on reality, but I have found out it is not.  The film was so well done that I would believe it were based upon real life however.  The story was solid and the music and the script were really good.

Bridges acted absolutely amazing as usual.  Yet another different role for him to play that he was able to do and make it look easy while doing so.  He has come quite a long way from some of his early films.  Farrell's role was a character that I have not seen him do anything really similar to before and he pulled it off as well.  I am used to seeing him in the badass role or things of that sort.  To see him in a more calm reflective and caring character was a good change that I was glad he was able to pull off as well as he did.  Gyllenhaal was better than usual.  Expanding upon that I will tell you I have never really liked a single role she has done.  I have to kick myself as I type this but she did ok in this one.  NOT GREAT, but ok.  Duvall was classic Duvall and I don't really need to say much more.


The filming and directing was done by newbie director Scott Cooper.  For his directoral debut I would have to say he did a pretty good job.  I felt there were a few times where the feel of the film changed and I was a bit confused.  In the beginning the film had a modern feel with the vibrant colors and feel during the opening credits.  The film for the most part was a bit dull and 80's feeling, which was pulled off quite well and exactly what he was going for.  The film popped back in and out of the modern feel throughout.  I felt this was a bit confusing to me as a viewer as to when this film was really taking place.  You can have an old feel to a modern film, but don't switch the feel back and fourth multiple times during.

Crazy Heart is receiving a 4 star rating from me tonight.  Mostly all around good acting paired with a great script and good music bring the directoral debut up a notch.  Bridges continues his hot streak and shows no signs of slowing down.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment