Followers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Dilemma (2011)

I have to apologize upfront here, it was Sunday night when we watched The Dilemma.  We put it in last minute and didn't finish it until 1:00 AM so I didn't do the review and this is the first time I have had to sit down and make it.  I may miss a few things here since it has been a few days.  On to the review however, the Dilemma stars Vince Vaughn, Kevin James, Jennifer Connelly and Winona Ryder.

Vince's character finds out that Kevin's characters wife (Ryder's character) is cheating and struggles with how to break the news.  This happens on top of a huge pile of ever growing problems both personal and professional in their lives.

The Dilemma is one of those movies that problem after problem continue to happen and build up and snowball.  This has never been my favorite type of movie, but they did a very good job with the suspense.


Before the film started DW and I took bets on how long it would be until the "Vince Vaughn rant" showed up in the film.  DW said 15 minutes and I said 45.  Much to both our surprise, it took about 2 minutes.  Not only did it take 2 minutes, there were 5 or 6 "VV rants" in the film!  Vince is a funny guy and he can add alot to movies, but his rants are just over the top and continue to get worse and worse in every film he is in.

The other main problem we both had with the film is it was very sexist on the "cheating" topic.  Mild spoiler here but Kevin's character is mad his wife is cheating on him, but he is off getting happy endings at some massage joint and nothing is ever said about how wrong that is at the same time.  In my opinion he is cheating just like his wife.


Besides the bad there was some good as well.  The storyline besides the cheating was good.  The script was solid and all the characters meshed together quite well.  Acting was good as you would expect from this list of people.  The filming was good, and we didn't find any major holes either.

The Dilemma is getting a 3 star rating from me.  The ranting and the sexism brought the film down from where it could have been without those two (or way more if you count each rant).  The Dilemma is worth checking out if you are looking for a comedy, as there were some very funny parts mixed in.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I felt the same way. I actually don't really like movies that pile problem upon problem, but for some reason instead of me getting pissed at this one, I felt more suspenseful than with others. I haven't seen Ryder or Connelly in a film in a while and thought they both fit well here.

    Thanks for the comment on sexism. It's nice to see men notice (or agree) with their DW's. :)

    ReplyDelete