Followers

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Lucky Ones (2008)

The Lucky Ones features Tim Robbins, Rachel McAdams and Michael Pena in a story about soldiers returning from war on leave and their discoveries that home is not how they left it.  The Lucky Ones is a well written and filmed movie that I thought was very realistic.

I was the most impressed with Rachel McAdams in this film.  I have always thought she has done a fine job in everything I have seen her in, but this tops the cake.  Her character was very quirky and obviously effected by what had taken place during her time overseas in the war.  Rachel was able to pull this roll of phenomenally well.

Pena and Robbins were good as well.  All three of the rolls were people affected by the war, and screwy characters are something Robbins has done many times.  I did enjoy seeing him in a less dramatic calmer roll however.  Pena was good as usual, and if he keeps going the way he is now I believe he will become a very well known name.


The film was pretty slow moving and nothing major happened as far as action or anything fast paced so filming is a bit harder to critique.  I did think they had some pretty good camera angles and picked some amazing spots to film and that definitely helped out the overall feel of the film.  I was impressed that most of the film takes place in a van but they still manage to keep you hooked.

As I touched on above the script was pretty good.  I kept wondering what was coming next and remained entertained pretty much the entire time.  There was good dialogue between the characters and realistic events occurred.  The only disappointment I had was the ending.  Don't get me wrong here, I think the way they did it was probably the best way they could have, but I was disappointed they had to leave it so open and not tell us what was going to happen.

Well, a pretty short review tonight but I'll give The Lucky Ones a 4 star.  Great acting paired with a good solid script and a believable story help put this one up higher than I normally rate slow paced movies.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment