Followers

Monday, January 31, 2011

Unthinkable (2010)

Wow, Unthinkable has to be one of the most powerful movies I have seen in quite some time.  The film was insane on so many levels that I don't even know if I can relate them to words in this review.  I am giving Unthinkable a 4 star rating, but it is going to be one of those films that you will either love or hate.  Be warned, it is not for the easily queasy person.



I have to say here that I hate Samuel Jackson's performance in most new films that he is in; Iron Man 2, Lakeview Terrace and Snakes on a Plane to name a few.  Unthinkable however is one where I have to deter from my norm.  Samuel Jackson fit the role perfect, and his acting was amazing.  That goes for the entire cast as a matter of fact.  Carrie-Anne Moss, Steven Root, Michael Sheen and Samuel Jackson were all perfect for this movie.

The filming was relatively simple, as a majority of the movie was based in one room.  That being said, Unthinkable was filmed amazing.  The techniques used added to the power of the movie, and being shot any other way would have detracted from said power.  Special effects were incredible.  The entire movie was full of torture and every second of it looked and felt real to me as a viewer.

One thing I though was interesting, and was repeated the entire film was the lack of full description.  It was intentional in the script and directing of the film, and I think it made it even better.  When you see dates all you see is month, day and time.  In the end you are left to decide for yourself what is the ultimate ending.  I believe this may have been done to portray a timeless environment to us viewers.  This could have been based on a true story, could be a current event or could be a prediction of future events.  Once the movie is over, I challenge you to deeply think about the choices that were made, where you think they intended the ending to go and what choice you would make in the same situation.  Talk this through with the people in the room, and it will give you a good incite of what your friends and family believe deep down to their core.

Wow, I wish I could tell you more without giving away the entire film.  Let's just say that each of you will have a vastly different opinion than the person sitting next to you.  This film is deep on so many levels, and has such a huge level of personal attachment that I can not predict what you will think.  My wife and I watched the film together, and while I gave it a 4 star rating she told me she would never ever watch the film again and gave it a 1 star.  If I were not watching, I'm not sure that she would have even finished the film.  It truly is not an easy film to watch, but it makes you think so much about what you would do faced with this horribly difficult situation.  Could you live with yourself if the decision you made was the wrong one?

Unthinkable is an amazing film to watch with multiple people, the more the merrier.  After conclusion, it will not only let you find out what others beliefs are but it will rock you to your core and encourage a certain level of introspection that does not happen very often.  The film poses one of the rare situational questions that are impossible to answer.

I know that was a lot of rambling, but it is hard to express how deep this film is without watching it.  Rent it, buy it or borrow it, but see it somehow.  You will surprise yourself at how far you would go to save millions of people...or would you?

As always leave comments, click above to follow my blog and share below to your favorite social networking site.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!


1 comment:

  1. Perfect review for a movie like this one. Deep and honest. Readers truly need to see it to understand all that you have said.

    ReplyDelete