Followers

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Feed the Fish (2009)

Welcome back!  Here we are, middle of the winter in the center of Wisconsin.  What better fit could we have then to talk about a movie filmed in the middle of winter IN WISCONSIN!  Alright!  We are talking about 2009's Indie film Feed the Fish.  Although you may have heard of a few of the cast, the most recognizable member was Tony Shalhoub.  This was a very fun movie.  It was also probably one of the hardest to put a star rating on that I have watched so far in this blogging experience.  I am going to have to give it a 4 star, and hopefully my discussion will enlighten you into the inner workings of my ultimate wisdom.



Wow, seriously?  This was an indie, low budget, small cast no bells and whistles film.  It has to be one of my favorite comedies that I have rated here on my blog.  I know, right?  You are going to watch this movie, (and you are...) and think what is Jason talking about?  The movie is filmed very cheaply, not greatly acted and not very pretty to look at.  How does it get a 4 star you ask?  Lets find out.

The movie centers around a children's book author Joe in California with writers block.  His best friend decides to plan a trip up north to Wisconsin to do the family legacy polar plunge, and convinces Joe to come with to get a clean slate and clear his mind.  He is in a poor relationship and ends up meeting a local and they hit it off right away.  I love that this movie is about a relationship developing from the time we see the two characters meet.  So many movies I have watched lately are the typical guy and girl are happy, they fight and break up and ultimately get back together.  This was such a refreshing relationship movie.

Feed the Fish is also a comedy film.  It is very unique in its comedy however.  Most comedies I have seen lately are tuning into the overly stimulated can't be pleased audience of today.  Every line and action in the movie has to be something comedy related in these films.  Take The Other Guys and Dinner for Schmucks for example.  Both of these are good movies, but they are a vastly different type of comedy.  Just as with the relationship aspect of the film, it is SO happy to have a film that is not following the trends of today.  It ignores these trends and necessities of today's comedies, but yet it is still extremely funny.  This is one that you will just have to take my word for it and watch the film to find out for yourself.  Saying much more would give too much away.

Yes, the movie is filmed nothing like a big budget hollywood film of today, but that adds to the luster of the film in my opinion.  It is filmed in harsh, wide open northern Wisconsin in the middle of the worst time of winter.  What colors are you going to make pop to make the film more attractive?  It is more realistic and I think it ended up bringing the realism forward, and puts more focus on what is happening in the film, instead of what everything looks like.

Acting....well it was low budget.  That being said, most of the cast pulled off incredible performances.  Yes you have your times where you shutter because it is not big budget perfect, but just as with the filming I think that it added to the film as well.  It makes it feel as if you are watching more of a true story and they don't know they are being filmed as opposed to a movie.

Being a low budget film, I feel that did get a few things off kilter however.  I thought that it gave Wisconsin residents a bit of a harsh time, we are not all that screwed up.  It did portray small town northern hospitality quite well.  I believe that was a truly great quality to put into the film and it helped it out that much more.  If Feed the Fish had all the glitz and glamor of a big budget film it may have become something much bigger, but I am glad it turned out like it did.  The only real criticism I have is that the ending felt a bit rushed.  You are building and building and smack, here come the credits.  If you wait around there is more after the credits (which are very short by the way) and that helps conclude the film.  Feed the Fish's ending could have been formatted a bit different and that could have helped.

All in all, there was nothing spectacular about the filming, acting or even directing.  It is the story and the enjoyability that captured you.  As I said in the beginning, it was one of the hardest to put a star rating on that I have done so far, but I am sticking with my 4 stars.  This is an excellent film.  If you are looking for something a bit from the main stream hollywood of today, go rent it when it comes out!  It is on Netflix view instantly at the moment, if you are a member go add it to your queue!  As always please leave comments, follow my blog above and share to your favorite social networking site below.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Thanks for deviating from the "format" this time and going back in-depth as you did with your first few good reviews. Made the review much more enjoyable to read. I see the reason for your four stars. Well said.

    ReplyDelete