Followers

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Solitary Man (2009)

2009's Solitary Man is a movie that was kind of a waste of time.  Then again it could just be the fact that I am not feeling the best today.  About the only thing it had going for it in  my opinion was the cast.  I am rating a 2 star, mostly because I was able to finish the film and it did have a few things going for it.

Most notably again is the cast.  Michael Douglas, Susan Sarandon, Jenna Fischer, Danny DeVito, Mary-Louise Parker and Jesse Eisenberg round out the well acted film's cast.  I actually have no negative comments toward the acting.  Each cast member hit their marks and all interacted quite well together.  You believe the horrible things that were happening, even though you cringed while it was going on.  As the results of Douglas's years of shady actions catch up with him, you can't help but feel sorry for him at the same time as you want to punch him.  You do feel a bit better later in the film when he does get punched, but thus again you feel sorry at the same time.

Filming is quite well also.  Solitary Man was another Indie film like my last reviewed film Feed the Fish, even though you wouldn't think they were related in any way.  Filming, acting and script were solid.  These qualities don't guarantee that the audience will like it however.

Enjoyability, even though it was solidly written was my big reason for rating 2 stars.  The film was just not worth it when there are so many better movies out there.  I could not believe some of the things that happened in the film, and it just generally left a bad taste in my mouth.  Douglas's character was the extreme asshole, and you do feel bad for him because he was not like that his whole life.  The back story was not enough to pretty it up for me however.  I do apologize for the short review, but hopefully it will let you in on the fact that you can most likely find a better film to watch than this.

As always please leave comments, click to follow my blog up above and share to your favorite social networking site below.  Ciao for now, and see you for the next review.  Let's hope it's on a better note!

No comments:

Post a Comment