Followers

Friday, July 29, 2011

I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)

For probably the last review for the month of July we broke down and went to a Redbox.  Netflix has been very poor on their view instant choices over the past month or two and we have weeded through all the buffer films we had available.  Redbox movie of choice tonight was 2009's I Love You Phillip Morris.  ILYPH was hailed by some critics as Jim Carrey's best film yet.  The film starred Ewan McGregor along side Carrey for quite an amazing ride.

Although I don't agree with some critics to the statement that this is Carrey's best film ever, he did do an outstanding job.  Carrey has had so many films that were great for different reasons that it is tough to put that label on a person that has been so successful and influential to the film industry.

Both performances in this film were top notch.  Carrey and McGregor play a gay couple that is in and out of trouble.  Carrey's character does some pretty incredible stuff to keep the relationship going the direction he thinks it should, with it catching up to him in the end.  Both men act extremely believably, and their charisma is astonishingly perfect.  I can not imagine they could have found two better people to play these rolls.


The film is based on real events by the way, the events are so unbelievable I still have a hard time believing it.  One of my favorite features of the film is the music.  I felt it added so much to the film, kept it flowing in the right direction and kept the feel exactly where it needed to be.  Filming was amazing as well, I would imagine it is very tough to do what they did filming wise in a jail.  Script and directing were very solid also.  I can not think of a negative thing to say about ILYPH besides some of the events in the film are very unbelievable, but it is based on true events so that is not even a real negative.  This is a first people, a movie I have nothing negative to say!

Well, this is the shortest review I have done so far for a 5 star rated film, but there isn't much else to say.  This is a movie you should watch, go rent it!  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment