Followers

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Eat Pray Love (2010)

Last nights movie was Eat Pray Love with Julia Roberts as the lead character Liz Gilbert.  Liz finds herself in a perfect life situation with the perfect husband, job and house.  The only problem is she is lying to herself in an attempt to stifle the deep down hatred she is harboring for everything.  Liz is able to come to terms with herself by praying to god for the first time in her life and decides to make a 180 turn around in her life.  The movie is her journey.

No matter how interesting you think they could make that, it turned out worse.  The first 30 minutes of the film was utterly boring.  The build up needed to be there to support the rest of the film, but it was not done very well. 

Liz proceeds to get a divorce and makes a year long trip plan with three destinations.  Her chosen destinations are Italy, India and Bali.  In all three locations Liz manages to fall into a group of people that just take her in as one of their own.  One location maybe, but all three?  Totally unrealistic.

In Italy she eats, in India she prays, and in Bali she finds inner piece.  Predictably so Liz finds someone that is just as miserable as she, and they end up happily ever after.  Most of this movie was just as miserable to watch as it was for Liz to live.  My favorite part was with Richard Jenkins, and I thought he didn't even do as good as he usually does.  I was not impressed with his self pity scenes, I felt they were too obviously overacted and fake.

At over 2 hours long, this movie did not deliver on the hype it had before release.  The length was needed to get the key points across and have the film make sense, but the film was not entertaining enough to keep someone sitting for that over 2 hour period.  I am giving Eat Pray Love a 2 star rating.  Sorry for the short review, but I don't think I want to make you sit here and anguish over this review like you would do if you watch the film.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I thought it was a bit boring, but not quite as bad as you. I still would have rated it a 2 star also, but I didn't think the film was unrealistic.

    My main problem with this film is that I don't think it's fair some ppl are able to travel the world and others of us can't go anywhere. I would love to take a year off and travel when I'm feeling in a funk. What a spoiled bitch. ;)

    ReplyDelete