Followers

Monday, October 17, 2011

Whip It (2009)

2009's Whip It was a delightful surprise; or a more apt description would be a surprising slap to the face.  Whip it stars Ellen Page as the rookie derby skater.  Page skates alongside Drew Barrymore, Kristen Wiig, Eve and Juliette Lewis in this powerful film.

Whip it is surprisingly directed by Drew Barrymore.  Surprising because it didn't suck.  And even more surprising because her acting didn't suck.  Having Barrymore at the reigns, I was very surprised at how solid this movie turned out.  Drew's filmography brings me all the way back to the year I was born before we find a film I thought she did a decent job in; ET.  No, I have not seen every one of her films so yes it is possible I could be surprised.

Kristen Wiig surprised me with her performance, I thought she did a very good job.  Two movies I have seen this month have had Wiig leading and both surprised me (oops, I didn't do a review for Paul, sorry).  Lewis did a pretty good job in her role but it reminded me of her character in Natural Born Killers.


The biggest acting surprise to me was Daniel Stern.  I have not seen him in very many things recently, and his face will always conjure up memories of the Wet Bandits.  His performance here was nothing like that.

Storyline was quite entertaining.  There were little twists and surprises throughout, and there weren't any really dull and boring spots.  My only comment on the content would be some of the "plays" from the playbook looked completely ridiculous and would never work like that in real life.

Good filming, good storyline, good directing (mostly luck I'm saying) and good acting add up for a surprisingly good film.  I'll give Whip It a 4 star rating.  Whit It is worth checking out.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment