Followers

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Salt (2010)

It was movie night again, and the film to be was 2010's Salt.  There was good hype about this film, so I thought I would check it out.  Angelina Jolie led a well cast group rounded out with Liev Schreiber and Chiwetel Ejiofor.  Neither of the later names would most of you put to a face, but seeing them in the film you would recognize them.

Salt had a weird feeling to it.  It almost felt to me as if the development of the character was too much to fit into one film.  It would be like if all three of the Bourne movies were crammed into 2 hours.  Impossible, right?  Well that is the feeling I came away with after watching Salt.

How about we dig a bit deeper and discuss the good, and not so good, about Salt.  Acting was actually the strongest part of the film.  There was not one cast member that I though could have done better.  All were cast very well also.  I would not want any of them to be played by others either.  Most of the fighting scenes turned out well, and there were even a few really cool things that I have not seen before incorporated.  I really loved Angelina's attack with her handcuffs at the end of the film.

Script and filming is where we get a little off kilter in my opinion.  As I said above, I felt as if there was too much development to be fit in without a sequel.  My biggest beef with the film is the believability.  The entire time I was thinking to myself "that's so unrealistic."  Granted, I know that is part of the point of the film, but it just felt way to over the top to even be real.  In a super hero movie that is one thing, but Angelina's character was still supposed to be real.  Her ability to seem to defy bone breaking is one example.

*slight spoilers below*

The way the film ended was another quarrel of mine.  Sure, she could go back and sneak in and do what she did, but just walk back out?  Then on top of that destroy the entire building and oh look the camera is zooming out to horrible ending soundtrack music and the credits start.  WTF?

In summarization, acting was good.  Most scenes were filmed well, and it was able to leave you wondering what was going to happen.  Once you got a bit into the movie there was some predictability, but nothing to bad.  If you are looking for an action flick with a solid female lead, Salt could be the movie for you.  I however am giving Salt a 3 star review and most likely will never watch it again.  It was dangerously close to a 2 star review, had it not been for the quality of the acting.

As always leave comments, click above to follow my blog and share to your favorite social networking site below.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment