Followers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

P.S. I Love You (2007)

Funny story, when this movie arrived I thought it was just like most I have been getting lately; fairly new. So I come to write the review and find out it is 4 years old. Hmmm, I wonder if it has been in my queue that long or if I forgot adding it. Anywho, on to the review eh? 2007's P.S. I Love You stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler.  I fully intend for you to read this with Gerard's voice as the narrator, it makes it 10 times better :)

I have not seen acting such as this in quite a while.  I am not sure if it was an unorthodox movie, or if the acting was just that bad.  I am going to give the film the benefit of the doubt and say it was supposed to be that way.  Most of the characters in this film were somewhat crazy on a certain level.  My favorite character was Harry Connick Jr.'s character Daniel.  He was so unorthodox he got to take pills for being rude.  I think that would be amazing if I could be as rude as I wanted, then apologize and blame it on a "sickness" I was prescribed drugs for.  That would make my job of being a salesperson and a manager so much easier!

The premise of P.S. I Love You showed promise.  I am not sure when the film dropped the ball, but on screen it started right away.  The opening scene is a twelve and a half minute build up to a sex scene we don't even get to see.  Not only is that a huge build up with no delivery, it was boring.  So far not a good start.  While conceptually the film had great legs to run on, it was if it were crippled and was unable to use said perfect legs.



The cast was good, the basis of the film was good, and the filming itself was good.  Somewhere lost in translation the final product came out a bit loopy, just like most of the characters in the film.

*Spoiler alert*

My favorite part of the film is near then end when we find out that Holly's mother, who disliked and disapproved of her husband the whole time is the one who is secretly carrying out his final dastardly sneaky plot.  She kept it a secret throughout everything, even portraying how silly she thought it all was the entire time.  Holly's mother reveals to her that she is in fact the entrusted party, and it is about the only part in the film that is not boring and is able to solicit any type of emotional response from the audience.

P.S. I Love You, although it should have been much better than it turned out, is getting a 2 star rating.  I hate to do that with everything it had going for it, but its just like a rich stupid kid; you can put them in the best schools and give them every advantage, but they are still stupid.

As always please leave comments, click above to follow my blog and share to your favorite social networking site below.  Ciao for now and see you for the next review!

2 comments:

  1. Well, with all of that said, I had a few more beefs with this movie than you've pointed out. I thought that the ridiculous notion of Irish men being "men" theme was just annoying. I also thought that they went over the top cheesy with a lot in the film. The forlorn looks of Daniel looking at the widow he thinks is so beautiful, the coincidence of her meeting up with her hubby's old best friend. And just the end, Jesus, can we can't any more cheesy? That being said, this is definitely a movie for a woman because I was saddened by many parts of the movie but mainly because I couldn't imagine going through the same thing she went through. Good call on the rating though. I don't necc. think the acting was that bad, just a messed up script and dialogue, that could have been good if someone hadn't messed it up with cheesiness and too many "cute" awkward moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this movie when i was pregnant with Gio. so of course I was crying the whole time i don't remember much of it besides that. I just know its one of those movies i don't want to see for a second time.

    ReplyDelete